SUMMERSIDE, April 2nd, 2014 – The Acadian Foundation for student financial aid invites those who would like to pursue postsecondary study in French next September, to apply for scholarships until the deadline of May 31st, 2014. The application guide and form are available online at the Société Saint-Thomas-d’Aquin (SSTA) website (www.ssta.org).
To qualify, students must be of Acadian origin, or Francophone or Francophile; and must have lived on P.E.I. for at least three years by the time of applying. At the time of applying, students under 18 years of age must have a parent who is a member of the SSTA. Students over 18 years of age must become members of the SSTA to be considered for a bursary. It is possible to become a member by following the directions on the SSTA website at www.ssta.org.
In addition to these conditions, applicants must be registered in a postsecondary program at a French institution or in a recognized bilingual program.
Here is the list of scholarships offered for 2014-2015:
Bourse J.-Henri-Blanchard ($ 1 000);
- Bourses Monseigneur-Jean-Chiasson et la bourse Père-Emmanuel-Richard (six bursaries worth $ 500 each);
- Bourse Monseigneur-Jean-François-Buote – 1er cycle ($ 1 000 at the Bachelor level);
- Bourse Monseigneur-Jean-François-Buote – 2e cycle ($ 1 000 at the Master’s level);
- Bourse Saint-Thomas-d’Aquin ($ 1 000 and reserved for theological study or study in a field where there is a lack of French human resources available, like health, science, law, education and medicine);
- Bourse Jeunesse Acadienne (500 $ and reserved for a member of Jeunesse acadienne who is pursuing postsecondary study in French);
- Bourse des arts (400 $ and exclusively for artistic development in one of the following disciplines : theatre, music, dance, visual arts, film and literature);
- Bourse de la Fondation des œuvres acadiennes ($ 250 and reserved for a student officially registered in a collge or university communications program or another program related to French media);
- Bourse de la Fédération des parents de l’Î.-P.-É. ($ 500 and reserved for a student officially registered in an early childhood development program, renewable for a second year if average is kept above 80%);
- Bourse de l’Université d’Ottawa ($ 4 000 and for a student officially registered at the University of Ottawa who is a resident of P.E.I.).
All applications must be received by May 31st, 2014 at the latest.
La Société Saint-Thomas-d’Aquin is the official spokesperson of Acadians and Francophones on Prince Edward Island. It is our mandate to assure that all Acadians and Francophones can live and thrive individually and collectively in French on Prince Edward Island.
For more information:
Office: 902-888-1679; Cell. : 902-314-1307